Minimum recommendations for COMPOUND BOWS:
Rhino, Hippo Classic BOW HUNTING SAFARIS into Africa have become increasingly popular amongst discerning archers with a variety of species on offer. The Professional HUNTER are highly qualified, experienced and technically competent with the advice they offer for tough African game, HUNTING methods, equipment limitations that have been tested and proven in the field, as well as legislation introduced by the Government ensures the ethics of the sport is upheld. Today, if you book with a reputable outfitter, HUNTERS need no qualms about finding themselves in an “experimental situation”, especially on DANGEROUS GAME HUNTS. SOUTH AFRICA is proud that it has carefully selected exclusive areas to ensure maximum success and quality of trophies in their HUNTS. Strict zoning policies and area usage ensure RIFLE HUNTING is excluded preference to the BOW HUNTING option. A combination of the above factors and the expertise of renowned Professional HUNTERS will ensure the BOW HUNTER an unforgettable SAFARI of a lifetime.
BOW HUNTS are usually conducted in the ways depending on your specific situation and species hunted:
- Blinds The majority of successful bags are made from permanently constructed blinds. These are situated approximately 20 yards from waterholes and salt licks. Some blinds are elevated from the ground, and others are ground blinds, depending on the terrain, sun and wind direction. These blinds are spacious and have roofs overhead. Shooting ports are adjustable to suit both standing and sitting archers. Animals bagging regularly through this method are Kudu, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Eland, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Warthog and Baboon.
- Stalking This method is used for the “more difficult” species or those that do not frequent the waterholes. Some concessions offer the ideal terrain for this method. The undulating hills, deep gullies and water streams with thick vegetation all make it possible to get within bow range during the months of April, May and June. After these months the fall starts and sufficient cover becomes scarce. Species bagged by this method are Bushbuck, Nyala, Duiker, Klipspringer, Mountain Reedbuck and the species listed under “Blinds”.
- Opportunity This includes a variety of hunting methods. The most commonly used is locating animals whilst cruising in a 4×4 vehicle. A large area can be covered using the method without losing valuable time walking through dead terrain. Once game has been sighted the stalk is planned and the vehicle drives off leaving the HUNTER and his guide in a suitable position. Often the opportunity arises whereby the HUNTER is dropped behind cover or downwind and the game is moved towards him by the trackers. This can be very exciting and rewarding, but needs a lot of patience and time. Any species available in an area can be bagged using this method. A HUNTER can also select an active game trail used by a specific trophy and erecting a tree stand or temporary blinds.
- Dangerous Game Each Province has different regulations regarding DANGEROUS GAME BOW HUNTING. Do not hesitate to ask your Outfitter to supply you with the latest regulations before confirming a HUNT. The number of BOW HUNTERS entering SOUTH AFRICA is rapidly increasing, and more and more outfitters are catering to their specific requirements. BOW HUNTING in most provinces is done under special permit which will be arranged in advance by your hunting outfitter. There may be restrictions imposed on species of animal that can be BOW HUNTED and on the standard of equipment required.
- Plains Game Compound, longbows and re-curve BOWS can be used on PLAINS GAME. Although no regulation regarding draw weight exists it is recommended to use BOWS of 60# and higher. Traditional archers should advise the length of their longbows to enable any adjustments to existing blinds to be made prior to the safari. Three or four bladed broad heads of the thunderhead type are recommended. Ensure a good supply of Judo points and piano wire is included in your equipment where bird shooting is allowed.