IMPORTATION OF GUNS
CHEETAH SAFARIS makes use of PHASA to help get your Temporary Import Permit for your RIFLE prior to your arrival for $150. You can contact Tersia at PHASA firstname.lastname@example.org. They meet you at OR TAMBO International Airport (Johannesburg) and help you with an already issued permit. All your documents have to be at PHASA 25 days before your arrival in South Africa.
ALL attachments to the SAPS520 form have to be notarized. Please ensure that the copy of passport, proof of ownership, letter of invitation and itinerary are all notarized. The spouse information on page 2 (25 -25.4) needs to be completed if the client is married even if the spouse is not traveling with.
The South African government requires that you have two blank pages opposite each other in your passport.
If you prefer doing this yourself, please follow the info below:
www.professionalhunters.co.za under general hunting info, Firearms
regulations and PRINT FORM SAPS 520, which clients need to complete and give
in at OR Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg).
NOTICE FOR WEAPONS
Before presenting the firearm import application form
(SAPS520 at wwww.professionalhunters.co.za), the
applicant MUST present a copy of the following documents:
2. Return airline ticket (to country of origin).
3. Firearm license or proof of ownership (Shop were it was bought, or signed
statement from police that gun belongs to hunter) (Form 4457 for US Citizens)
4. Proof from the country of origin. (See paragraph below) (Form 4457 for US Citizens)
5. Invitation letter from the Outfitter (professional hunter).
6. Motivation letter from the applicant as to the reason for the importation
of the firearm.
(Hunter writes letter saying that his motivation is to come and hunt in SA)
· Only one person at a time will be attended to.
· The first person in line will be helped first.
· The firearm and ammunition will be inspected by the Police inside the
· Please ensure that all the required documents are in order before entering
the office so that you do not delay the process.
PROOF FROM COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.(nr4)
This paragraph needs to be certified by an official government organization
in the hunter’s country (police, etc) before leaving to South Africa.
It is hereby certified that the owner of the firearm(s),
Mr.. ………………with caliber………………………………serial number………………….and
type …………are hereby authorized to temporarily export the above firearm(s) from (country)………